Monday 6 December 2010

Trip to Penang

As I had mentioned earlier, and I'm going to mention it again, I feel bored and listless to be stuck at home, so I'll grab any opportunities to go out of my house, and I don't care where the destination is. Let it be Penang, Kedah or Singapore...I don't really care where.

Last Friday, my mother benevolently suggested to bring me for a tour in Penang island, and I was literally swoon! I perked up when my mother threw this news to me, and I was literally exuberant after receiving it.

So this was our plan: we went to Penang with our sister who was going to Gleneagles Medical Centre to complete her industrial training (7.30am) and then we would go to Kek Lok Si temple and where I wanted to go. I was astir upon 6.45am to get myself dressed and ready and we started our journey on 7.30am. The traffic in Penang was horrifying! Most people know 7.00-8.00am is the time where industrial places will be choked with cars with cacophony of honks lingering in the air, refusing to leave until all cars successfully arrive their destination. And should I say the drivers now are extremely impatient? They will do whatever they can do squeeze (another literal meaning) their cars in any tiny spaces available. Horrible! But still better than Bangkok and especially China. Stuck in traffic for 9 days? Worse than nightmare!

After we dropped my sister at the hospital, my mother and I decided to have breakfast. While going to eat we passed by my aunty's place (my mum's sister) and realised she was already awake. My aunt recently went under the knife to have her thyroid glands removed due to severe infection, and after that she had become neurotic about her life and my mum, who is both neurotic and solicitous, stopped by and showed her concern to my aunt.

My aunt's husband is a doctor. He was a doctor working in a hospital but he left and opened his own clinic. While he tried to explain what happened to my aunt, he was engaged and kept on dragging until he finally grew tired. I knew my mum was getting annoyed because she was ignorant to the world of science, but I was totally spellbound by the medical jargons he mentioned. After my aunt had her thyroid glands removed, she had to take hormones orally. Then they all talked about their lives and hence, the delay of my breakfast.

Around 9.30am my mother finally brought me to eat, after she told my aunt she was probably going to drop by later. After we withdrew from her place, my mother began to lecture about lives and all that gobbledygook. She always assumes I know nothing about lives, and that really annoys me.


After breakfast, we went to Kek Lok Si temple. At first the place looked deserted to me, then after that I saw beggars loitering around. I didn't give them any money, and I don't show them any sympathy. They are all physically healthy, and none of them is maimed. If they wanted money they should get a job. There are thousands of jobs out there for them, and they choose to do the easiest but the worst one - begging at the public! Shame on them!

Initially I saw many foreigners, but then people of other races began to trickle in later. I'm not really interested in the teaching of religion. I do believe in God, I believe in spirits and I believe in afterlife (in my heart of hearts), but I do not believe our lives are depended on God! I believe we choose the ways we live, and we choose the decision we made. And I certainly do not believe that when God wants us dead, we'll leave. And I don't believe God is just, because there are good people our there suffering and agonising in pain, and evil masterminds are still out there manipulating the world with their evil doings. If God is just, please explain this phenomena to me.

But I respect God. I just don't think He (or She) is always right. Kek Lok Si temple wasn't particularly interesting, but not horribly boring. The only thing that kept me occupied was me feeding the tortoise. I wondered how long the tortoise were there. 100 years? I don't know how long, but I do know they looked more bored than I did. And before we left Kek Lok Si I bought a very nice shirt. I love it very much! After a few bargain the price was lower from RM25 to RM15. Haha.
After that we went back to my aunt's place and conversation there weren't irrelevant. If I write the conversations down this post will be too long.

My lunch was sushi. We went to Sakae Sushi at Queensbay Mall and had our lunch, and of course, the meal was expensive, but had not exceeded RM100. Then we just went window shopping. We couldn't pay a sen for anything there because everything there was beyond our standard. We just couldn't pay RM10++ for a scoop of ice-cream or RM100++ for a school bag.

I bought Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I had wanted to buy this book a long time ago but due to the unbelievable price (RM99), I forewent that decision when the book first hit the market. But since the price had plummeted to RM32.90, I decided to buy it and finish the novel during the holiday. Hopefully I can finish it in time because next year will be very hectic.

After that, we went to fetch my sister and we went home. The traffic in Penang was - as I stated earlier - frightening.

Hopefully I'll have this trip again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment