Thursday 18 November 2010

My Review on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1


I was a fan of Harry Potter when I was around the age of 12. But then after I watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, my interest begins to ebb away. Not because the movie is less interesting, but because the story is too long and it has lost its charm that makes the film a commercial success. Nevertheless the films still manage to gain popularity. You know why? Most people, especially after Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, do not watch the movies because the movies are interesting, but to satisfy their curiosity and watch the ending of the movie.

I'm not going to say much about the film, because frankly there aren't many to say. The synopsis of the film is the same as the synopsis of the book. There are some difference. For instance, the scenes where Harry talks to Dursleys are removed, and I don't recall seeing Dudley either. But I didn't expect much. If this movie follows the book pedantically then the movie will be boring in a way that it lacks creativity.

Most people want to know where this part of movie ends, right? Well, the movie ends with a cliffhanger - as suggested by the title - where Voldermort steals the Elder Wand that is attached to the late Dumbledore's body.

This movie is by far the best trilogy in the series. 60% of the movies are action scenes. First, the Ministers of Magic try to bring the eponymous character away from his house to a safe house where he will be well protected by scores of sophisticated wizards and witches. While they are fleeing the place they are suddenly ambushed by Death Eaters. As most people know, Mad Eye Moody dies (sadly) and George's ear is severed by a stray curse. This marks the beginning of the movie.There are many more action scenes after that, and it ends with the scene where Bellatrix tortures Hermione and Dobby saves them.

This movie is also hilarious, probably contains the most jokes in the series so far. I like how George watches Harry and Ginny kissing silently and then pretends to be ignorant to what they do. I like how Harry freaks out when he sees his curse goes haywire. I like how Dobby tries to deny his doing with pathetic sincerity. I also like the scene where they disguise themselves and infiltrate the Ministry of Magic.


But there's a scene in the movie that bugs me. After they escape from the Ministry of Magic, they land on somewhere (I didn't know where) and Hermione puts on the protective charm. And during the night when Hermione sees someone lurking around, she panics, but her protective charm protects them from being discovered, but the 'someone' smells her perfume. So here's the problem: why would Hermione bother to spray perfume on her body in the time of emergency?

And the scene where the fake Harry wears a bra is choking me on laughter.

The storyline is great from the start to the end, it manages to keep us spellbound. I give it an A. The director definitely did a great job in directing because I never felt impressed before. I give it another solid A. The action scenes are superb, I like it, another A. But the cliffhanger isn't strong and if I only watch the last 5 minutes of the movie, I don't think I'll watch the second part, so I give it a measly C.

The ticket price for the movie is RM11, but if you are a student, remember to bring your student card. Flash it to them and your ticket price will drop to RM6. Save your money!


No comments:

Post a Comment