Saturday 27 November 2010

Health effects of....

Like to eat instant noodles? Well, I'm going to tell you effects of the chemicals in instant noodles to our body. The idea of researching just came to me suddenly. Anyway, I'm sharing my research here. Sources are reliable.

These chemicals are found in Ibumie Mi Goreng: Perisa Thai Tom Yam





Noodle:


Guar Gam: Water-soluble fibre that acts as a laxative, effective in promoting bowel movement. Help in weight loss. Increased absorption of calcium. Improve dietary glucose intolerance. But it reduces the absorbability of dietary minerals (other than calcium).

Sodium Polyphosphate: Extremely harmful if swallowed or inhaled, and in contact with the skin. But I've no idea if the amount of this chemical in the noodles is strong enough to cause this severity in humans.

Potassium Carbonate: Cause irratation in gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May have moderate toxic effects if consumed in large quantities.

Sodium Carbonate: Not very toxic in small amount. If small amounts are swallowed, drink a cup of water and milk. If taken in large amounts it causes nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.


Seasoning Powder:
Do I have to say anything about the health effects of salt and chilli powder?


Monosodium Glutamate: Labelled as 'safe' by FDA, but it may cause headache, flushing, sweating, facial pressure or tightness, chest pain, nausea and weakness. Avoid if possible.

Flavour Enhancer (E631) - Disodium Inosinate: Side effects including sensation of burning to the skin. Numbness around the mouth area. Profuse sweating. And it is a chemical that may trigger allergic reaction.



Seasoning Sauce:
What to say about soybean, sugar, salt, flour and brown sugar? I'm pretty sure most people know the effects already.

Caramel: Cannot find anything. I'll post it if I find anything about caramel.

Benzoic Acid: Large oral doses can cause abdominal pain, sore throat, nausea and vomiting.



Seasoning Oil:
I can find nothing related to palm Olein.

Shallot: It's a type of onion, so I guess it's safe to consume. I cannot find anything about its health effect, but I'll post it here once I find one.


Chilli Sauce:
The sound of the sauce sounds simple, but it contains chilli, water, sugar, salt, garlic and acetic acid.

Acetic acid: Also known as ethanoic acid. Acetic acid in foods never reaches dangerous or unhealthy level. But in high concentration, it cause corrosion to the skin.





After I finished this research, I'm pretty sure I'll try to avoid instant noodles, or at least try tobecause the damn MSG is a pretty strong additive. Anyway, bear in mind, eating too much instant noodles harms the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment