Saturday 31 July 2010

Saint Anne

Feel tired to be at home, I made an impromptu decision to go to Saint Anne, as the anniversary event was being held. But I couldn't go there without companies, because there would be a crowd and pickpockets would be loitering around to strike, and I couldn't let them take their chances.

The peak was tonight, which is the time I am typing this post, but it would made pickpockets job so much easier in the pitch black, so reluctantly I chose to go there in the afternoon, with my friend, CY.
.
My father and mother drove us there. The road was inconveniently blocked, which was what I had anticipated, so my friend and I had to walk a distance.
.
The church was, as expected, packed. The first two familiar faces I met were the two Bomba(s) from my school. They were having their duties, which admittedly, quite useless. How could 16 years old teenagers help in an international event like this? I'm not being patronising, but just simply telling the truth.
.
Before entering Saint Anne there was a long stretch of stalls outside. Most of the stalls belonged to Indians, and most of the things sold there were tradisional food or Indian-style food, not my cup of tea.
.
Upon entering the sacred building my friend bought an ice-cream, which was so luring that I bought another one against my will. There was long stretch of Indians holding their handkerchief before the stairs to the hall. I didn't know why they did that. To beg for money? There was a hall for prayers after we climbed up the stairs, and because I wasn't a Christian I didn't enter it. Then the church, so enormous, so magnificent, so sacred.

But I wondered why the Father used Chinese to speak. Most of the prayers there, I mean, 99% of prayers (not exaggerating) were Indians. After that a question rise, why were there so many Indians are Christian? Weren't they supposed to be Hindus?

Rhetorical questions were never meant to be answered.
After that we just walked and snapped a few pictures
:
Balai polis bergerak? OMG!!!

Then there was a canteen. Foods were given for free, and so did drinks. But I heard what they said about the foods. The Milo was mixed with Kekwa, Curry had lemon ingredients (which would make the food tasted awful) and tasteless mee hoon. I took a cup of Milo and thought it wasn't that bad, and the unique taste might be imprinted in my mind because I was sure nobody outside the church would make something so....weird.

I saw GYH, the one from 4S2, dutying. I think I distracted him for a while, I hoped he didn't get criticised. It wasn't intentional.

After that we just went strolling around the compound. I saw the wishing well. The water inside it was not flowing, which made it stink and foul. And people, presumably the devoted prayers, threw money inside. Even the workers there said the water was dirty. For god's sake this is an International event, would they at least clean the place ?

Before that we climbed up the hill behind the church. It was similar to To Kun, except the road was steeper and the hill was much lower. I didn't know what was up there even though I witnessed the event being held. Inquisitively I took a closer look, and realised it was something about Mother Theresa. But the event being held was so a mystery for me because I never asked.

Then we entered the Church and listened to what the Father said. We were standing up most of the time singing the songs. I'm not easily evangelised, I just simply wanted to know more about Christianity. But honestly I learnt not much.
.
Before leaving Saint Anne we went to have Milo again. The stretch of people were still at the entrance, reason still unknown.

While on our away to my mother's car we walked along the road.


I bought two ice-creams and one cup of corn, not to mention a packet of titbits on the way out. Then later we walked to Old Town Coffee to wait for my mother's arrival. Look at the police below, he is just having his duty. But is he doing well? I'm in no position to tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment