Monday 7 February 2011

Chinese New Year Celebration, Part 1

This topic is going to be separated into a few parts, so I'll start with the first.

The first reunion dinner was on the first day of Chinese New Year. My father brought us to my uncle's house and he chatted with his brother about things while my mother, my sister and I were bingeing on cookies, deliciously made by my aunty who had a flair for baking. She baked the world's most delicious chocolate cake (my favourite) and many other kinds of cookies that are nearly impossible to find in the supermarkets, simply because they are unique as she had her own secret recipe.

So, first, we chatted. My cousins weren't very open to topics and since we had a little trouble communicating (they prefer speaking English, while I tend to speak Chinese. But the problem isn't bothering much as all of us were multilingual).

Then later we had our reunion dinner and my father's long lost adopted sister, who was reunited after my grandmother died - apparently, she was the cause they disunited at the first place - joined us for the dinner, together with her irritating and extremely disturbing husband who loved to think he was always right and his opinions shouldn't be judged. His dogmatic points exasperated my father and my uncle. It annoyed me a little, but not to the extent I cursed him inwardly. His mindset was screamingly old-fashioned, and he, liked what my uncle said, would dominate the conversation.

Sorry. I got carried away again.





Later, we went to a restaurant and had dinner there. The dinner was great - if you ignore the price, of course - and the drink satisfying. The restaurant was full with people taking reunion dinner, making the surroundingly exceedingly noisy.

After the dinner we went back to my uncle's house and had desserts there. The cookies, as I mentioned earlier, were mouth-watering. I took a lot, and my cousin who looked emaciated kept on bingeing. The fact that he could eat so much and yet did not put on weight really bothered me.

As for angpaus, well, it went straight to the bank, thanks to my parents.

End of first reunion dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment