Tuesday 13 April 2010

Wish Came True

It's Tuesday and my last two lessons were Chemistry.

I missed the previous lessons because I had to bring the books to the bilik persidangan for checking, therefore I had no clue what we were about to do. Then I was told that we were going to do an interesting experiment that was so important until TPS needed us to go to the lab very early.

We didn't object because we didn't like the lesson before Chemistry--Moral! All of us worked together to badger ACS to let us go. Finally someone butter him up and he agreed. Thank god!

That experiment was quite interesting. Each group which consist of 4 members were required to conduct an experiment that was said to be difficult to get the accurate result. My group members: Xue Xun, Shik Ming, Ivy and me.

Our experiment: To determine the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide by combustion

My job is to open and cover the lid very fastly (with an acceleration 100000ms^-2) to ensure that oxygen can get into the crucible and prevent the magnesium oxide from diffusing into the air. I was given the hardest job. It was considered to be the hardest because I had to prevent two things from happening simultaneously. I had to admit--I never thought I had that dexterity.
.


Before we started our experiment, I threw a 5 sen coin from the chemistry lab to the fountain below. I wished that our experiment would success while throwing that coin down. And guess what! My dream did come true and our result was one of the best! You don't believe me? Ask SM, Ivy and XX.

At first we were the slowest because our crucible was the biggest. It took a longer time for the magnesium ribbon to burn. We waited until we lost our patient, and so did TPS. So she taught us to use another bunsen burner to set the magnesium ribbon on fire.

She's such a b*t*h! She had this brilliant idea and she never told us and wasted our precious time!

We got the result, and although we were the second last one to finish, our result was considered one of the best. Our result: Magnesium=1, Oxygen=1.1. Empirical formula: MgO.

Now I have discovered the treasure in our school---The Wishing Fountain!! Haha xD

No comments:

Post a Comment