Friday 17 June 2016

The Conjuring 2

The first thing I wanted to do after finishing my final was playing badminton. But preoccupation to that dreadful exam distracted us and we did not make a booking, so what we did instead was to watch a movie, and it just so happened that The Conjuring 2 was released. So we opted for it, without much consideration. Partially because it is rumoured that one of my friends were so scared, his reactions towards the film would magically transform the horror movie to a comedy.

I don't care. I wanted to watch horror movies because I want to be scared, and not because I want to watch someone's hilarious reactions to it.

We bought tickets for 8.20pm yesterday at Cityone Megamall, Kuching. It was full house, expectedly, as The Conjuring is the blockbuster hit worldwide. The first film was awesome! I even rewatched it in the few hours before I went to watch the sequel.

Okay. The Conjuring 2 is itself scarier than its prequel, but it still fails to throw me off my seat and neither has it left me some permanent shadow. Sure, some scenes gave me a few scares, but that fear dissipated in less than a minute. I consider those temporary effects acceptable and favourable but hardly exciting enough to be called a genuine scare.

The storyline is great and it's exciting it takes place in London (British accents sound just....so nice, although neither of those actors are from London, and the mother and Janet are both Australians - I still can't really differentiate Australian and British accents). The intimacy between the Warrens are stronger but I wouldn't blame them. Crossing the boundaries and dealing with the paranormals ought to have brought some nasty attachments that you couldn't easily shake off, and the fear of something disastrous befalling your beloved one is indeed nightmarish.

Lorraine, as a clairvoyant, has premonitions. I wonder why the evil freaking nun would haunt her long before the case in London started, and I wonder whether that nun drew her to the case deliberately. Still, the case, based on a true story, is well-told. The suspicions on the girl is sad but it is an expected response from an atheist (I assume that psychologist is). I never thought that old man is a pawn and a victim himself. I sincerely thought he is the culprit but as it turns out he is a tool.

This movie is, in my opinion, scarier than its predecessor. The storyline grows slow but it picks up pace towards the end. I admire Janet's effort to portray two personalities in the film. I admire James Wan for successfully delivering a horror movie that has an actual storyline instead of producing films with hollow lines.

In essence, I just love the movie. I heard a spin-off that centres on the Nun will be produced. I am looking forward to it. The Conjuring 3 may be produced, but if James Wan is not directing it as rumoured, then I fear I may not watch it. The Conjuring is his creation and the sequels shall be his products, as the transfer of work will result in regrettable lose in taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment