Thursday 23 June 2016

Newspaper

People ask why I like reading newspapers? Ok, why shouldn't I? I get to enrich myself with new knowledge at a price cheaper than a meal every day. I get new entertainment every day and I gain knowledge every day. I also get something to do every day instead of sitting in front of my laptop and staring at facebook waiting for updates from people I barely know. I also like reading other people's ideas in the opinion columns - reading how people establish their grounds and argue their points, and trying to discern how they persuade the readers to concur with them is fascinating and I may be able to pick some skills. But I admit I have developed an obsession for newspapers - I must read, and I feel uneased if I don't a day. I prefer printed paper than epapers, and even though I have subscribed to The Star epapers, I still feel the need to have a printed newspaper every day, so when I was in Sarawak I bought New Sarawak Tribune or The Borneo Post, depending on which day it is. My main reason of buying a newspaper is to go for its supplementary sections, or in Chinese we say 副刊, where I can read about health, arts, movies, travels and whatnot. Another reason may be just because I like to have something new every day. I just love reading newspapers, and don't ask me why. I just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment