Tuesday 17 August 2010

School Life As a Treasurer

Being selected to be the treasurer of my society wasn't what I had expected, and not what I wanted either, but I had to shoulder that responsibility, since it had been given to me.

It is incumbent upon me to record the income and debits. As I'm a science class student I did not know how to do akaun. Which sucks, for a treasurer. I remembered the first time I did it, I had trouble writing them. I tried to look through what previous treasurers did and all I could dig out was writing them in a form given.

The first time I brought it to CMC (who has just retired) he said I needed to bring the receipts for him to see. Can you imagine that? I didn't bring receipt for him, and I expected him to sign the akaun book. I was plain naive, and inexperience, and I'm sure he was despondent about me. I tried to improve, and the next time I sent it for him, obstacles began to show up. I lost a receipt and I forgot to claim the KFC receipt.

And guess what, even though he signed the book, I knew trouble would come eventually. An apocalyptic trouble. Sooner or later I would be called into Ms Saw room, and watched how deadly I would be when I exited her room. Just watch. This is immiment and inevitable. After than I began to gain experiences. I learnt to record everything down on the time I took it or gave the money out. I had a painful lesson, and I don't want to replay it.

Being the treasurer is not only about controlling the flow of money, it's also about trying to increase the money in my hand. I realised previous year, RM1400 was taken out to make t-shirts, and owing to that our society had lost too much money. Even though there were still 38 t-shirts unsold, we were still short of money.

Sometimes, as a treasurer, I have to pester them into giving the money. Most of them gave it reluctantly, but I don't blame them because if I were them, I wouldn't give it voluntarily. But it behoves me to take the money from that, and although some are liberal with their money, most of them aren't, and it's hard to ask them to pay. Especially the form 3s.

It's been only 4 months, and I have learned a lot, and of course, wrong a lot of things. Correcting them is not as easy as what everybody thinks, and now with my teacher advisor retires, every mistakes I did before August will not be able to be amended. The trouble will be sealed forever. As for the next 9 months, I'm sure more things are ahead for me, and now I'm dare to say, I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment