Monday 31 August 2015

Sehati, Sejiwa

This year, our government take the unprecedented move by saying that instead of numbering the year of Independence we have achieved, we would this year ditch that and hold only a slogan: Sehati, Sejiwa, loosely translated to "one heart, one soul", apparently attempting to signify that Malaysian races are not divided and are together at all times.

This year Merdeka is different. It is greeted by Bersih 4.0, a rally which demand clean electoral, absence of corruption and effort to be taken to curb it, greater democratic rights, for examples. Our home minister idiotically called it an illegal rally, desperately banned the official shirt for the event, and blocked websites supporting it. The more measures he took, the angrier people became, and thus the more successful the rally became.

While it's true Bersih 4.0 does not aim to topple the government, it is simply a happy coincidence that everything Bersih demands happens to be the lacking of our ruling government. In simpler term, we are indirectly asking our government to go away, as it is in sight not possible for them to correct their wrongs.

Since it is Merdeka today, I think I'm gonna openly express my love for my country here, now. I love Malaysia, and seizing this opportunity I wish to say I consequently support Bersih, for one simple reason: for a country that prides itself as a multiracial nation, it is paradoxical and hypocritical to have political parties that are race-based. BN has long outlived its relevance. Its inherit tendency to divide and conquer by politicising race and religion is no longer welcome. And because I love Malaysia, for Malaysia's future, together with yellow-shirted high spirited people, I support Bersih.

Happy Independence Day, Malaysia. I love my country, and it's why I demand our current government to go away.

Merdeka!

No comments:

Post a Comment