Monday 23 March 2015

R.I.P Lee Kuan Yew

Lee Kuan Yew, a man who was born to a world of chaos, and who subsequently tried his best to oust extremists and terrorists and eventually form a coalition in bid to form a safe and secure country. He had been vocal with his stance, and on that bumpy road he fell hard when Singapore was expelled from Malaysia. He stood up again, despite being violently beaten, and eventually transformed Singapore from a land of virtually nothing to one of the most vibrant and developed city in the world. He walked a road that is abundant of obstacles, but he succeeded. I couldn't imagine how I could traverse that path and yet survive unscathed. For that I would give him my utmost respect. Rest in Peace, Lee Kuan Yew, the founding father of Singapore.


Few quotes I love from the late Lee Kuan Yew:

1. "I am often accused of interfering in the private lives of citizens. Yes, if I did not, had I not done that, we wouldn't be here today. And I say without the slightest remorse, that we wouldn't be here, we would not have made economic progress, if we had not intervened on very personal matters - who your neighbour is, how you live, the noise you make, how you spit, or what language you use. We decide what is right. Never mind what the people think." - Lee Kuan Yew

2. "Mine is a very matter-of-fact approach to the problem. If you can select a population and they're educated and they're properly brought up, then you don't have to use too much of the stick because they would already have been trained. It's like with dogs. You train it in a proper way from small. It will know that it's got to leave, go outside to pee and to defaecate. No, we are not that kind of society. We had to train adult dogs who even today deliberately urinate in the lifts." - Lee Kuan Yew

3. "I started off believing all men were equal. I now know that's the most unlikely things ever to have been, because millions of years have passed over evolution, people have scattered across the face of this earth, been isolated from each other, developed independently, had different inter-mixture between races, people, climates, soils....I didn't start off with that knowledge, but by observation, reading, watching, arguing, asking, and then bullying my way to the top, that is the conclusion I've come to." - Lee Kuan Yew

No comments:

Post a Comment