Saturday 5 June 2021

Peaky Blinders

Oh God, I never knew this show existed!

I googled for TV series recommendation and some websites recommend Peaky Blinders. I searched for it on Wiki and learnt that it's a gang-themed show which is set around 1920s. Shows set in the past aren't a thing for me because I do not like history, but I really wanted to watch a British show so I gave it a try.

My first thought after watching the first episode? Okay, when people say British actors can act better than Hollywood actors, people aren't kidding. The gap in acting quality is humongous and apparent. British actors really can act better.

Then, I thought the first episode started off a bit slow and boring. Pilot usually starts slow. So I gave the second episode a try. And I ended up finishing the first season in 3 days. To be fair, there were only 6 episodes in one season (typical of English drama), but they were working days - days I were superbly busy.

I especially like Thomas and Aunt Pol. No joke, I mean, the characters are fascinating, but seriously Cilian Murphy and the late Helen McCrory really were class actors. They have class. Real quality that is absent in Hollywood actors. Then, the characters are fascinating at their own. Thomas, the smart leader who is enthralled and besotted with Grace, the barmaid who is actually an undercover cop but mistakenly fell for him. Aunt Pol, the lady head of the family who is often in loggerheads with Thomas but respects him ultimately. I sincerely love these two characters. I also like Grace, but it's because she's beautiful not because she's an outstanding actress. She's good, but just not as outstanding as Cilian Murphy and Helen McCrory.

Anyway the show was good. It was really entertaining. There were 4 more seasons for me to watch (and an unaired 6th season), but the first season didn't disappoint. Also, I learnt Helen McCrory passed away April 2021. This is really sad, I hope she rests in peace.

p/s: British accent > American accent, by an infinite magnitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment