Saturday 26 June 2021

The Definition of 'Extension'

I sometimes love reading Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) judgments, because sometimes they bicker over things ordinary people find nonsensical and laughable. But in the legal context, sometimes, a word really could make thousands of dollars of difference.

Take the judgment released today about what exactly Congress means by 'extension'. I mean, 32-pages of single line documents to analyse only what 'extension' means. 32-pages of words because of 'one word'!

Anyway, after Ginsburg died last year, Amy Coney Barrett was rushed to be appointed to SCOTUS, solidifying the conservative control on the supreme court. I resented her. But recent judgments show that she's much more centrist than I initially presumed, and she's beginning to earn my respect. And damn, she's one hard textualist, and a very technical one. 

I mean, in today's judgment, which she dissented, I can literally feel her blood boiled. Read it yourself.

HOLLYFRONTIER CHEYENNE REFINING, LLC, ET AL. v. RENEWABLE FUELS ASSOCIATION ET AL.

In the end, I agree with her:

'Boiled down, the Court’s position is that HollyFrontier wins because its reading is possible. But I would ask, as we typically do, how the term “extension” “is most naturally read.” - Barrett, J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment