Sunday 2 August 2020

Chris Carter - Written in Blood


I've been reading his books since 2010 when I first read The Executioner, a book which even my sister couldn't help but got engrossed in it. Every year, Chris Carter publishes one book, which I find too little. Every year, I try to get the book immediately when it was published. Back in the early 2010s, e-book was not popular. His books were also deprived of the attention they deserve, so they were particularly hard to get. The only bookstore that sold his books were Borders in Queensbay Mall, which has now sadly shuttered. But so many years later, I'm now in Singapore, and I've got access to Google Play Books. The publishers usually do very hard to gain profits by first releasing hardcover versions only for the first year so that they have a reason to charge more. Nah, I go for e-books, because I refuse to pay more just for the hardcover, and also because his books are not immediately available in Singapore or Malaysia, and most importantly I couldn't even wait for a second more to read his books and ebook gives me immediate access!

Anyway, as usual, his books never fail to charm. I devoured the book in 2 days, max. The beginning of the books was a bit slow, and it started off a little differently from his previous books. The killer in this book is a little less sick, less brutal (though still brutal), and unlike the previous books, there aren't any races to save victims, because in this book all the victims have died. Still, this book is enchantingly absorbing, and you couldn't stop reading it even if you want to. He wrote it in a different tone, a tad less analytical, a bit more personal, and also the suspense isn't as strong. I initially thought the killer was bipolar, given the way it went, but as it turned out I was wrong. But, doesn't matter, it was still a good read, although I find it weaker than his previous novels. But since a tragedy befell him while he was penning it, I think it's understandable. If you like a crime novel, I highly recommend Chris Carter's novels. Although, given the amount of time it takes for me to finish it, I think his books really don't worth the money, since for the same amount of money, you could also buy some other books that keep you entertained for a much longer period. Rating: 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment