Friday 6 February 2015

To Love and To Hate

I won't bother to deny that being a teacher, you are bound to be hated by your students, and likewise there are students you are bound to hate.

I have students I hate - two of them, but they are the way they are because of family problems (family neglect, I presume) and therefore I just avoid them instead of attacking them. If it arises due to family problems I will refrain from meddling.

There was however one class I hate with every fibre of my being. I scolded that class many times for refusing to cooperate. Strictly speaking cooperation was not supposed to be allowed, when I shouldn't have tolerated with their refusal to abide by simple rule: do not disturb a lesson.

So I scolded them. So many times to one point I actually told them I do not like them. I didn't use the word 'hate', but I had the strongest urge to. Luckily I suppressed it from being spoken out.

And this year they accused me of practising double standard. They say I favoured the front class and didn't treat them well. In my defence, I was the form teacher of the front class, I am bound to favour the class over any classes. It's my class.

Secondly, they cooperated with me. They did not disturb my lesson. They handed in their home work in time. And they treated me well. In response, I reciprocate by treating them equally well.

The people who criticised me. Well, you did not cooperate with me. You constantly disturbed my lesson making me unable to have smooth lesson. You did not hand in my home work and only gave them in when I threatened to send you all to discipline. And you ignored my presence and treated the classroom as if it's yours when instead you are only given the classroom to have a proper lesson. I had continually said if you did not want to listen to my lessons, you are free to sleep in the class or do your work. My only condition in my class is to keep quiet and do not disturb my lecture. If you remain silent, I don't really care what you do. Kneading, drawing, whatever you like.

Tell me what reason I have to not love the front class more?

And you accuse me of double standard? Go reflect yourself, what makes you think you are not at all to be blamed?


1 comment: