Sunday 30 December 2012

2012

2012 is coming to an end and we are all still alive and kicking. The famous Mayan's so-called doomsday did not realise, thankfully, and now we are all looking back and figuring how silly it was for people to believe an apocalypse predicted centuries ago could actually be genuine. Perhaps the Mayans shouldn't be entirely blamed since they did not explicitly imply that it is the end of the world the reason they stopped jotting down dates, but those archaeologists who creatively interpreted it as a possible end-of-the-world indication.

Anyway, 2012 is a special year for me. It's the beginning of a new life for me because I ended my secondary school life and traversed a path I never walked before. The school life routine was broken and I was blessed with an opportunity to wander into another world where things are not as easy as it appeared to be.

Let's look back at what have transpired.

First, I got a part time job in a restaurant that sells mainly frog porridge. I was bored to death at home so I figured I could find a part time job and earn some money to sustain my living independently. After all, I've 5 months more before I resume my studies and I really ain't going to waste it at home sitting on the chair like a sack of potatoes waiting to sprout.

So there I got, a part time job. It wasn't a pleasant one because I was working as a waiter. I hated it. There really was no telling when your customers would come. Sometimes there was one, sometimes there were so many you lost control of the situation and confusion hit you. Furthermore, the restaurant allows their customers to smoke, and since my respiratory system was never in the pink, I contemplated to quit. Luckily the boss told me, indirectly and as polite as possible, that they did not need my assistance anymore as their business wasn't up to their expectation and an extra hand was not needed at the time. I was as pleased as punched and gladly quit.

Then I found my second part time job, the one which I like so much that I even consider going back there after my STPM. It was a stationary/book shop that organises book fairs in schools. While the job was downright exhausting and sometimes screamingly exasperating, I enjoyed it very much because I learnt a lot and I got to visit many schools. The job was tough since I was required to work from 7am-6pm, and, when there's no book fair, 9am-5pm, I never once felt sick of the job. I got to see the world outside and realised that it wasn't as beautiful as I had imagined, and that customers who patronised your fairs could sometimes be very shifty and deceptive. And I found what I liked. Something not many people who share but still something I enjoy indulging in. 

I quit the job April since I have to resume my study life. Form 6 was not the same as form 5. It's widely acknowledged as one of the toughest exam in the world - and for that I am sure everyone who goes through the torture will gladly agree with that rumour - and the change of system does not seem to be helpful and has actually exerted an extra load than removing any. Due to the part time jobs I took on, my personality has changed and I became more exuberant and socially active, and though I still did not enjoy my life the way most people do, I've learned to let go of something and embrace new stuffs I find welcoming and appropriate. Form 6 class was just as appropriate as it sounds. L6BP - a class of mixed students who, for certain subjects, have lessons together and, for different subjects, segregate. Thanks to the mixed combination, the uniqueness of this class is perhaps what captured me the most. Not too many nerds, thanks to Physics students who spend less time memorising, and not too many geeks, thanks to Biology students who spend less time twisting their brains trying to fathom the list of discombobulating formulae. While there appears to be a gap between few groups of friends, most mingle well, with perhaps five or six who do not fit in or even attempt to blend in.

Then we were told that we probably would have to go to Junior College next year, immediately rain a cloud of despondence through the students. Not that I hate it very much. To me there's something good about it, but it would be too sudden for us to go there next year, and a change of system is going to be another chaos and I would be happy to avoid that. Luckily, we won't be going there next year. Then, MUET exam. MUET was an entirely different English exam than what we've sat for, and this exam proved to be arduous. STPM too. After half a year of struggling, we sat for one exam that was given scant time. Basically, I had eaten and regurgitated everything in the exam. I am sure I did abysmally but I guess I'll let faith determines how it ends. 

That's my life throughout this year. It's the most meaningful and eventful life I have. Though sadly many of my friends have gone on to further their studies at elsewhere, we manage to gather when opportunity comes and the joy was still as pleasant as it was. Of course I too have chummed up a few new friends during form 6 and they are great too, and annoyingly I am still asked to burden a responsibility nobody likes and I foresee that it'll possess me for another year.

So what are the interesting events that don't concern me worth remembering?

Well, first of all, we survived the apocalypse! Like I said, the apocalypse is rubbish and I really have no idea why so many people around the world buy it and fell for it. Maybe there are clouded by notions that the Earth is sick and man-made disaster, whether deliberate or unintentional, was indeed going to happen and obliterate the world into oblivion. It sounded plausible, since the weather change this year was rapid, abrupt and violent and very unpredictable. Storms hit several parts of the world and the amount of deaths was frightening. Violence and clashes are omnipresent and there appear to be no easing.

Earlier this year, Anwar was finally acquitted from sodomy charges. After four years of trials, allegations and defamation, justice prevailed and he was acquitted. That news certainly impacts BN hardest since they couldn't create another lie easily again to drag the opposition down. Next, massive internet blackout. Wikipedia, for instance, went black for a day in protest of SOPA, an internet law recently drafted and passed (was it?) in the USA which threatened the freedom of speech and put lots of innocent people at risk of faulty lawsuits. Malaysia later follows the step and intends to implement the same law, but at last any news go unheard as the public's response was so intense I did not think the government would even dare to mention in by passing.

Then, there was Bersih 3.0. The government was right at one thing: it is politically motivated, but they got one thing wrong: not by the opposition, but by how dirty you are. Knowing that such demonstration would significantly affect their image and exploit their dirty works, they vehemently disapprove it and outlaw it. Nonetheless, it didn't stop the public from participating it. It was a peaceful demonstration, until someone unknown clashed with the cops and from there things went pear-shaped. The police sprayed water laced with chemicals and fired tear gas, which immediately drew public outcry, activists condemnation and international attention. It was internationally acknowledged as a violation of human rights, and the moves by the government were recognised as inhumane and brutal. Only the government insisted what they did was right and appropriate, and the newspaper intended to support it by publishing lots of articles with lies. Please, the public are smarter than you think!

Then Bersih chairman was sued an amount of money. In accordance with the controversial Peaceful Assembly Act, if violence broke out and damages were widespread and severe, the person who organised the responsible event would be held accountable for the damage. Everybody knew it was bullshit, but the government decided to do whatever in their power for their enemy to topple. How it ended was not exactly known as lights were not shed on it, but since Ambiga is a lawyer, such a move would not be easy on someone as prominent as her.

Moving on, we have a case of kidnapped boy who caught international attention. His name was Nayati, and if I'm not mistaken he had Dutch blood. I'm pretty sure the only reason the police were working so hard on the case was because the father's status, or else this type of kidnapping would usually go quiet. Anyway, the boy escaped unscathed later when ransom was paid. And, guess what, the kidnappers were later nabbed and prosecuted. Interestingly though, a report released earlier seemed to suggest that Malaysia was the safest country in Southeast Asia, surpassing Singapore. What a joke!

Then, global was once again hit by economic recession, and it became so fragile whoever attempted to fix it risked going bankrupt. Four countries in Europe were on the brink of insolvency, and unfortunate for London it had to host the Olympics. With people's expectation held high and anticipation rising, London could never risk disappointing its fan so they decided to do their best to deliver a powerful programme. And so they did, though it wasn't as good as Beijing Olympics, it was good itself and certainly deserved an applause. The economy in Europe later on improved marginally, but the impact was not going to be easily improved as unemployment rate was high.

Lee Chong Wei came very close to win Malaysia's first ever Gold medal. He was defeated by Lin Dan by only two points. He endeavoured not to cry on stage while receiving his silver medal, and later on apologised on Twitter for letting his fans down. Well, I don't idolise people no matter how great they are, but I did felt sad for him. He carried a weight so heavy he felt so sombre letting his fans down, though deep in the heart everybody was already ebullient he could grab a silver. Pandelala later became the first Malaysian to win a silver in diving, lighting hope for Malaysian athletes to perform better in sports other than badminton. Paralympics, held in the same city as Olympics, wasn't as hotly celebrated as Olympics, but still it was successful. Euro Cup was held the same year, and surprise surprise Spain again won the title!

Politics worldwide was chaotic. Libya was still as unrest as before. Egypt elected a new president, but after few months in power, the incumbent president decided to enact a law that is deemed unconstitutional and therefore the public strongly condemns it. Even the lawyers rejected it and walked away. Egypt politics remained unrest, and the tourism was severely impact. Pakistan drew attention to it when a young girl was shot on a bus. She criticised the militants and was shot. Lucky for her the attempted assassination failed and she survived, though after going through a series or ordeals. An Indian student boarded a wrong bus and was gang-raped by six men. An iron rod was inserted into her and she subsequently suffered from multiple organ failures. After several days of surgeries and medical assistance, she ended up dead. Her friend who was with her pulled through though. Even though she died, the incidence remained vivid in people's mind and voiced concerns over women rights in India. 

Shooting incidence in USA was rampant. First there was a shooting in a theatre when Batman was screened. The man was believed to have suffered from some mental disease. Then, a shooting occured in Newtown, Connecticut, only this time, it happened in an elementary school. I was flabbergasted it happened in an elementary school. How did a young gal got a gun to shoot at people? The incidence was used as an example for the government to take action against ammunition enforce stricter laws for the use of guns. As of speaking, the case has not been solved and is still a sensitive issue.

Gangnam Style became a sensation. I didn't know how it become so hot, but suddenly everybody begins to sing and dance it. The singing was not very pleasantly nice, and the music was slightly annoying. The dance was weird, but still everybody goes on singing it. It became the first Youtube video to receive 1 billion views, surpassing Justin Bieber's Baby. Then we have the sex blog couple, whose unabashed view of sex receive harsh criticism. They published their sex photos on their blog, which is now blocked, and aren't ashamed of it and didn't care how the public receives it. To me, I don't really care that much. You can do whatever that you want and you can post it wherever you want. If I don't want to watch it, I simply don't go to your blog. Apparently, the public receives it differently and demands apologies from the couple. NUS was pressed to take action against his student, and an enforcement was established to review the case and a decision was drawn, though discreetly. 

Well, many more happened this year and I can't really write all of them down, but 2012 has been a wonderful year. One more day left before we embrace 2013, and I somehow feel that this year shouldn't have ended so fast. Goodbye, 2012. 



No comments:

Post a Comment