Thursday 23 June 2011

Driving

1-6-2011

I thought driving a car would be easy. But here's where I was wrong: driving a manual car and an auto car are different. Auto car is easy, your left leg can tremble all you want, as long as your right leg is able to switch from stepping the accelerator to applying the brake. Manual car is a different car altogether, you need to step on the gas pedal before you release the clutch, or else the engine dies. If you want to stop the car, you have to make sure you've completely slammed on the clutch, only then you apply the brake, or else your car will dance - literally, but in a more annoying way.

I really did badly for the first time. I couldn't get the hang of its function, and I failed to slam on brake in time, and the car engine died many times and I'd lost count. I learnt side-parking that day, and it actually was easy. Tiga penjuru was also easy. Driving on the road was a bit challenging as I still couldn't control the car. But, well, that is always a first time for everything, and the first time usually is done badly.

3-6-2011

Second day of learning. I learnt going uphill, and it kind of suck. Here's why people always fail this part: 1) handbrake isn't fully pulled, 2) engine died, and 3) fail to stop on the yellow line. Actually the way to do it was blindingly simple. All we need was to balance the accelerator and the clutch, and released the handbrake only when the clutch was lifted to a certain point where the car was ready to surge forward and not move backward. Today was fine. But I need more practice as practice made perfect.

6-6-2011

Much better. I couldn't remember what I did today.

8-6-2011

Last day of learning. I did side-parking and uphill for several times, but I did not gain my confidence yet. I was sweating bullets when I visualised myself looking at the testers on the test day, and I was really afraid that I would fail.

9-6-2011 (Test Day)

We registered ourselves and went into Room 5 where we were briefed about everything. Then we moved and waited outside for our turns. As we watched the first seven students taking their tests, our hearts pumped with immense force nobody could experience everyday. The first student failed and we regarded it as ominous. I waited for nearly 2 hours before I got on a car and began my test. And sadly, I failed.

Here's the thing: While stopping on the hill, I thought engine died = fail. So when the engine died, I failed to slam on the brake on time and I was immediately told I failed. I was really angry and disappointed because I hated manual transmissions and, most importantly, I loathed that place and I never wanted to return to that school. But, faith said I must, so I obeyed. Going out road was easy, but I scored 16/20. 1 more X and I failed. Thank God.

16-6-2011

I had to play truant for this test, and I sure hoped I would pass. As we failed our first test, we were grouped in the second batch and we had to wait for the first batch to complete their test before we could finish our mission. I waited from 9am to 12.30pm, 3 hours and 30 minutes. And luckily, I passed.

All 7 Jit Sin students who went for the test went home with victory - the best news for the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment