Thursday 14 April 2011

Malaysian Have Best English in Asia?


I really don't know how to formulate a word to describe my feeling when I read the news. I was, though exuberant, momentarily stunned by the seemingly impossible news.

It says that Malaysia has the highest proficiency in English in Asia and ranked nineth internationally where English is not the mother tongue. I have to say - I'm stunned.

I agree some Malaysians are great in English, they can speak flawless English and construct discombobulating compound sentences and even translate English into other languages without leaving out any important points and able to retain its liveliness. But, toping Asia in English is a little bit flattering.

What about India? Indians have good command of English too. What about Hong Kong?? Phillippine?

If Malaysians really have that so-called good English, I would surely be on cloud nine. But based on my observations in Malaysia, though Malaysians have good English, it has not reached the standard that is considered 'high proficiency'.

I really like the compliment, but I find it a little flattering. I just don't buy the result.

I'm not betraying Malaysia nor am I discouraging Malaysians - let me make things clear - I'm just saying the results are a little faulty and Malaysia does not have the greatest command of English in Asia - not yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment