Sunday 24 July 2022

Top Gun: Maverick

This show has been released for two months, since end-May, but I decided to watch only yesterday.

You see, this isn't the typical genre I go for. I usually go for detective/crime, superhero, or horror. Aviation-theme movie isn't one that I have a fondness for. It doesn't mean I hate that theme, I just never really considered giving it a try. 

But this has since become the top grossing film of 2022, surpassing Marvel Studio's movie, and the general audience consensus seems to be unusually good. I've not met a single person who dislike the movie, or read a review that criticises anything about any aspects of this movie. Everybody who cares to write a review, however simplistic it is, seems to string together words in awe, reflecting great admiration and respect. And most importantly, they say this must be watched in the cinema for the ultimate experience.

So I decided to finally give it a try. I was hesitant to pay SGD16.50 for a two-month old movie that's about to be released VOD, but I decided that when the critics are unanimous that it's good, it has got to be good.

Boy, I would say, it's worth every damn cent of the money I was reluctant to pay. I would say it's now the best movie I've ever spent on.

The movie employs quite a cliche story plot, but what makes this movie remarkable really is the action scene - you watch the jets fly, and you watch it from the cockpit. That's where Top Gun: Maverick distinguishes itself from the common movies out there - the movie puts you inside the character's view, and you see the characters' emotions as it is when they're doing it. 


Then that resentment and hatred of Rooster towards Maverick, and how Maverick sacrificed himself (seemingly) for Rooster, and Rooster's regret and sadness and the ultimate getaway and the final reunion - that's gold. As Miles Teller said in an interview, this is a movie that makes a grown up cries. I did not cry, but I probably could have. It was moving, and it was good.

2022 has been an exceptional year, and this movie makes this year an exceptionally amazing one for me.

My rating: 10/10. And I love Lady Gaga, Hold My Hands rock and is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment