Sunday 17 July 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder

It's a no go in Malaysia, but it's screened in Singapore, where I currently reside. Initially, I wasn't very keen with Thor, because Thor isn't a character that really got my attention. In MCU, I especially love Wanda, Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and to some degree, Captain Marvel. Thor isn't high in my list, but I don't hate him. 

So we watched Thor: Love and Thunder on the Sunday of the first release week. Knowing it's still directed by Taika Waititi, I believe comedic elements are expected. From the trailer, we know Jane is returning. That's awesome. 

Before I watched the movie, I was heavily expecting GOTG to be a heavy future in Thor. Disappointingly, they are featured for only like the first few minutes, and then Thor parted way with them to his friend whose world's God had been butchered by Gorr. Only Star-Lord actually had a few memorable speeches, no other characters of the GOTG had any memorable screentime other than a cameo. In fact, I think Zeus had more screentime.

But otherwise, it's a great movie. I like the goats. I like the 'seeing your ex-girlfriend hanging out with your ex-hammer' thing and I like how the stormbreaker gets jealous. I also like Gorr, and Christian Bale is an awesome actor for skilfully playing such a evil villain that manages to elicit sympathy from the viewers. The shadow realm is interesting, and I like the fight at the end of the film. It's really too sad that Mighty Thor had to die, although it was also impressive how she could put up such a good fight like Thor when she just got hold of the Mjolnir a short while ago (in Thor's time, since he's like thousands years ago).

I think the movie is great. No, there's no LGBTQ+ element. It's mentioned only by passing by Korg and it's extremely insignificant, definitely not as significant as Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness showing America's two mothers on screen. I believe why it wasn't greenlit in Malaysia was the scene in the beginning - Gorr, dying, met his God and begged for His help, but that God dismissed him as a worthless chap only worthy as a follower. Gorr, furious, declared he renounced his fate. The God was furious and was about to kill him, but that's when Gorr was chosen by the cursed sword to become the God Butcher and he killed the same God who was just about to kill him. Renunciation of a fate is blasphemy in Malaysia, and I think this is the likely explanation.

Why I do not think LGBTQ+ element is the reason Thor was blocked? First, as I mentioned, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness had a more significant LGBTQ+ element yet it wasn't blocked or censored. Secondly, Thor was initially delayed two weeks in Malaysia. Disney had affirmed that it's not open to censoring LGBTQ+ scenes from movies in Lightyear, so I doubt they'll do the same with Thor. And even if they are willing to, it didn't need a two-week delay. LDP would have given conditional approval subject to compliance which is often not an issue, just like Lightyear. Disney pulled out Lightyear not because it was blocked, but because Disney refused to comply. Then, a two-week delay suggested Disney intended to make amendments, and we know LGBTQ+ isn't something Disney was willing to compromise, and we know it hadn't been an issue in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

So given the silence on why it's not released, the better explanation, in my opinion, had to be the renunciation of fate in the beginning, and the central theme of the God Butcher, which is a very controversial and perhaps taboo topic in Malaysia.

It's too bad for Malaysia. It's a work of fiction, and actually a very entertaining film.

My rating: 8/10. Deducting 2 marks because GOTG is reduced to an insignificant cameo. Btw, the R&B style of the opening Marvel scene is refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment