Monday 15 June 2020

SCOTUS LGBT Ruling

You know, I studied law as part of my undergraduate study. But even before taking that unit, I already fell in love with law. Law is fun. Anybody who loves languages would love law, barring the technicality that it entails. I love law, I love reading judgments although admittedly I so far have only studied common law. The argument, the hundreds of pages long of arguments just to analyse the impact of using 'and' or 'or', is mind-blowing. It fascinates me, especially since many of the justices analyse the words with so many facts and that semantics and language play such an influential role. Malaysia's judgments really pale in comparison with the US and the UK. 

This is the latest court judgments provided by the United States Supreme Court on the discrimination of LGBT people. Surprisingly, despite having a conservative majority, the court ruled in favour of LGBT, and what's more surprising is one of Trump's appointee sided with the liberals.

I read it because it was a surprising result. The judgment the justices wrote reminded me what I love languages.

And damn that judge Samuel Alito. I knew he is a textualist but he is beyond reasonable in his analysis and reasoning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment