Sunday 15 December 2019

Impossible Meat

The Impossible Meat is an artificial (or to be a little technical and perhaps slightly less offensive or hypocritical, plant-based) meat that attempts to disrupt the meat industry by gravitating the loyalty of the meat-eaters to a similarly tasting plant food that claims to be much healthier, carbon-neutral and yet equally tasty. Being a person who tries to reduce intake of meat for the sole reason of health that does not pertain to religions, I gave the Impossible Meat a try out of curiosity. I was hesitant to try it because it was bloody expensive. Stuff'd sold Chicken Kebab for SGD5.30, but if I opted for the Impossible Meat version, it cost extra 3 dollars. But out of curiosity I ordered it anyway hoping I wouldn't regret it, even though I hated the taste of beef and the Impossible Meat is crafted with the beef eaters as the main target. Anyway, the meat was really as advertised - tastes like beef, perhaps a little stronger but its ersatz taste stands out pretty strong. It looks also a bit bright red due to some chemicals they put in (said to be original, not synthetic, and plant-based) and that colour frankly looks a bit off-putting. Otherwise, it tastes as good as a real beef (yes I tasted beef before, I just hated the taste) and is definitely a good option for a vegetarian seeking for new food choices or for beef-eaters who want to be a little health conscious and yet able to indulge in the soul-savouring tastes of beef. But if you ask me whether I would eat it again, my answer is a no, for now. It's ridiculously expensive for a plant-based meat, it tastes like beef which is a meat I do not fancy, and it actually looks pretty disgusting - they tried hard to make it looks like real beef but it ended up looking like a little mushy balls of meat that is uncooked. The food could be better processed to look a little less repelling. It would also be great if they come out with a chicken-tasting meat, and if the price is halved I may slowly become a loyal customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment