Monday 22 August 2016

Sadako vs Kayako

Ju-On series is the first ever J-horror I have ever watched. I know it was famous for being incredibly scary back in 2002 because back then I was little and the poster scared the hell out of me. Then I proceeded to watch Ju-On: The Grudge, and immediately fell in love with the movie. Kayako is a sinister, ever-lingering spiritual entity with a burning grudge that couldn't be put off, and same goes for her son, Toshio. But I have never ever watched a Ringu film. I know it came out before Ju-On and it was more famous but I don't know why I just don't find the concept of a ghost crawling out of a TV is by any stretch interesting. Any other horror movies that isn't Ju-On just features ghosts crawling around for no reason and people yelling at the top of their voices. The whole movie just doesn't feature a coherent plot or a writeable storyline.

So when I knew there is going to be a crossover movie featuring these two world famous ghost, I was excited. Especially since both the creators of the respective ghosts will be involved in the making.

Sadako vs Kayako mainly focuses on the girl who found a long-buried videotape and watched it. She died. She gave the videotape to a professor who yearns to have it. He watches it too. And he dies. Horror movies basically are the same: you got the curse, you try to stop it, and you die, and the curse lives on. That's the summary. It's the process that intrigues, and sorry I can't deliver it here.

When the lady who has watched the videotape wants to live, she went to an exorcist, who in turn led her to another exorcist. And that exorcist who appears to have some sort of supernatural/psychotic powers decided to bring Kayako and Sadako together to fight and obliterate each other. The entire film climax lies at the end - Kayako and Sadako's eventual meeting. That part was awesome but could have been much longer. If you're wondering what the ending is, well, I have given the necessary hints.

Overall I like the film, but had it featured more from Ju-On series, it will have been greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment