Saturday 30 July 2016

I'm starting to like accounting

I never liked business related topics, with accounting the only exception because it requires mathematics. Even though some other business needs knowledge on financial mathematics, anything that requires speculation, estimation and the analysis of stock market are out.

This July, my semester break, I worked part time at a tax agency in order to gain some knowledge on tax. It was the peak period for them as the submission for taxation was 15 July, and a lot of filings and paperwork were required and thus they were understaffed. I worked there doing mostly the paperwork, but after 15 July I got to learn a lot on taxes. Mostly on company taxation because individual and partnership business submission have closed.

Accounting is fun. The key knowledge in accounting is actually balancing. Debit and credit must be equal. My lack of familiarity in observing a balance has resulted a costly mistake for me because I filed wrong data. I don't know whether the customer realises that, my I hope if he/she does he/she would forgive me, because if he/she is caught for the wrong submission, it's he/she that will be imposed a penalty, not the tax agency I worked in.

Anyway accounting is actually fun. It's actually crucial for a company because accounting is the basis of everything. It measures the flow of money within an institution and if one were to mess up a record of even a mere 1 cent, the whole accounting is doomed. That's why I wanted to work in the firm. I get to see what is required in accounting and when I work as an engineer in the future I would know what needs attention. Everything involves money must be treated with precautions and great care because even though engineers are not taught accounting, they will be part of the audit and it's important they have a little knowledge about it.

In short, I did not learn a lot, but I learned enough to pique an interest.



4 comments:

  1. Hi danny, i just wonder how you apply for such part time job during semester break? Is it through online or walk in interview? Im currently a first semester student in university. I thought of working part time too during sem break, cuz i want to gain as much experience as i can. I used to work before after stpm but that job require very little skills only like cashier n promoter. Now, i look forward to do part time that require more good skills or atleast related to my studies. But just wonder how to apply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time through walk-in interviews. Occasionally through contacts or online. Some jobs can be found on Facebook too. Just try to figure out what jobs you might want by going down the streets and see what kind of offices are available (maybe, say, law firms, engineering firms, pharmacies) and just walk in and ask if they are hiring. You need to be brave by asking even if they aren't advertising because that's how you gain experience haha. Other than that, mostly Facebook will be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi danny, account is not just want to make it balancing. It might wrong although you have make it balance. Tax is definitely interesting especially in how to develop a tax plan for client to reduce the tax liability for the client.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Derek: Yes I'm aware of that but I guess that's what that makes accounting so interesting! I have only a little knowledge about accounting and I would really love to learn it if I have the chance!

    ReplyDelete