Tuesday 26 January 2016

Conflicting Interest

My parents have offered to buy me a second-hand car in Kuching since I first studied there.

I declined the offer, because back then I stayed in on-campus accommodation hence a car is not necessary.

Plus I find driving alone in a totally alien place was downright creepy.

Two years on, I've moved to an off-campus accommodation. I travel to and fro the campus by an assigned van prepared by the university.

I am thus constrained by its schedule, and has my mobility restricted.

I find a car would come in handy, and would be of great convenience.

However, asking for a car is hefty and expensive. A car cost up to 20k, even if it's second-hand.

I thus wonder, is a car needed for my convenience, or is it because it is a necessity?

Well, I have survived a semester without one, though with great inconvenience and constant help from my parents.

Should I continue how I am, or should I get a car?

Having a car means getting freedom, but gaining of freedom comes with great responsibilities.

I've got to take care of the car.

I need to have robust self-discipline to not abuse my new found freedom and travel around.

I may get more stressful owing to the traffic jam of which I would be a contributor if I have a car.

However, I could go to campus anytime I want.

I could go anywhere I want without my friends' help, particularly when I have difficulties.

I could in return bring my friends around, returning the favour they had given me last semester.

However, the crux of the problem is the same: is it worth getting a second-hand car?

I'm talking about 20k at least. It's not an amount of money to be splurged out without consequences.

Is having a car for convenience worth the money, when it isn't a necessity and I could survive without it fine?

Confused.


No comments:

Post a Comment