Sunday 3 January 2016

Comfort Zone

One thing I believe I need to constantly do is to routinely monitor my daily activities, and then decide what is here to continue and what needs to be kicked.

In doing so, I realised something very striking and something that never cross my mind, and something that I only noticed now simply because only now do I I take the effort to understand my daily routines.

I'm now at home, in Penang. And what I do at home is basically the same as what I do in my hostel in Sarawak, but the difference is: time seems to fly at light speed when I'm at home, but time crawls slower than a tortoise while I'm in Sarawak.

I'm going to attribute these nuances to this: while I'm in Penang, I'm in my comfort zone. In Sarawak, I'm a visitor.

You cannot deny a comfort zone is, as its literal meaning, a zone where you find yourself most comfortable in. You are unlikely to detest it, most likely could stay there for the rest of your life and are very happy and content with your current condition.

But if you are outside your comfort zone, you feel incongruous. You felt your presence as odd and consequently out of place. You therefore get uncomfortable and hence you have the nagging feeling that you are not belonged and therefore time gets slow because deep in your heart you really want to leave the place.

One of the reason is also because when I'm in Penang, I'm at home. My home has a living room, kitchen, toilet, bathroom and a garden where I can comfortably make myself feel home without worrying about privacy invasion and hygiene, and I've a car to use so I'm free to travel whenever I want to wherever I want. But when I'm in Sarawak, I have only a tiny room as my accommodation. I felt confined. I shared facilities and utilities with my housemates. I worry about the cleanliness of the toilet, I need to worry when I play a song too loudly et cetera, and I have no car. I'm bound by where my legs can bring me before they crumble. Ultimately all these lead to uneasiness and discomfort.

To summarise things: when I'm in Sarawak, I'm outside my comfort zone, and hence time seems to crawl.

But the good thing is, leaving my comfort zone actually allows me to grow up. I can't possibly nest myself in my comfort zone for the rest of my life. As we grow up, our environment continuously changes. Time too goes on mercilessly without stopping a second for those who supplicate for it. We either keep pace and follow up, or stay where we are and risk losing out and being made irrelevant.

Sometimes, the best thing to do is always something that makes you uncomfortable, but are needed as they are necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment