Sunday 11 January 2015

How Does The Future Look Like?

Reading Sunday Star (I should mention I think I would die if I don't read newspapers a day - and I mean a printed newspapers) makes me realise we all have one common curiosity that does not surface easily, but is often mentioned by those who have walked the Earth a long time. Often we are curious about how our future would look like, but there are nothing to trigger or prompt us to ponder this and therefore we don't mention it. When asked to make a decision that likely impact our future in a significant way, we would often hope how each decision would turn out before we finally hesitated to make one.

In newspapers I read columnists who said back in the 1990s and 1980s they have their own visualisation of how 2015 would appear to be, and several movies have portrayed 2015 to be a year of massive development and modern technology, but it turns out to be disappointing as the year 2015, so far, does not signal anything that likely agrees with the movies and whatever the producer envisions do not seem to be able to materialise any time soon, yet.

I can't help but putting myself in the columnists' shoes. For once, I ponder how year 2035 would look like. For starters, I would be 41 years old - if I survive the twenty years between. Do I have a successful life? Do I have a wife and kids? Would my parents still be around? Would Malaysia be a much more developed state, with obvious improvement in technology and to regain its once glory on international level? Would racial tension in Malaysia finally disappear and all races actually integrate in the society well and peacefully? Would the world finally gain peace and terrorists eliminated, or would the world deteriorated to one full with chaos and turmoil to such a point the blood has replaced the water in the river? Would the environment return to its lush green again or would all mountains be replaced by high rise buildings to feed the ever growing population that is already threatening to wipe out the ecology? Would Earth still be sustainable and habitable considering the current damage done to the Earth right now is far from acceptable and imaginable? Would a second Earth that is habitable be found and humans be transported there by that time?

I won't deny so far Earth has seen drastic deterioration. Humans are killing humans and simultaneously are depriving Earth of its nature. We take things for granted and we do not appreciate what mother nature has bestowed upon us. So in 2035, would Earth be a better place to live, or would it be inhabitable?

That is certainly one issue worth jotting down and there too is one answer worth waiting for.


No comments:

Post a Comment