Thursday 19 January 2012

Beggars

Yesterday my mother and I were in Gurney Drive, watching the tides rolling to the shore. We were in a car because it was raining and we had the window winded down, when out of the blue a beggar stopped in front of us asked for some money with a pitiable look and shouted 'I wanted some money, can you give me some? "我要一点点钱,可以吗?"

I was floored by his presence and question. He looked unkempt, seemingly earnest, and appeared to be exceedingly desperate for money. I was at lost for a moment, didn't know how to react. I looked at mother, who was equally shocked like me. But then she started the car engine, winded up the window and drove away.

Sometimes, when I see them, I really want to give them some help. Sometimes when I come across beggars or vagabonds I was always contemplating whether I should lend a helping hand or turn a deaf ear, pretending to be blind and scurried away.

Sometimes they are desperate. They really need help and they resort to begging in the streets, usually they are old or handicapped, and perhaps mentally unstable and facing insolvency. I always have an urge to help them, maybe giving them some coins or RM1 could help them a little.

But then, I have seen a beggar smoked. He used the money he painstakingly collected to buy cigarettes. Cigarettes destroy your life, they obliterate your lives without mercy, shove your families away, burn your lungs, trigger cancers and God knows what more diseases they can induce.

If this is the case, why should I help? It could mean they have spent all their money on drugs and cigarettes and that's why they become bankrupt, having no more money in possession and therefore choose to beg in the streets.

It's true that are people who are faking. They decide to cheat and gain money through an easy method - begging.

What should I do when I see beggars? I don't know. There are people out there who really need help, but unfortunately there are a multitude of fakers who are there feigning to be pity, put on a pitiable look and badger people for money.

So I choose to turn a blind eye and walk away - even though sometimes my heart aches.

But, to be frank, if you are old and really need some money to support your life, why don't you find an easy job like washing dishes in a shop? It's better than begging in the streets. You can't expect to live with the helps of Good Samaritans, and you certainly can't live by begging.

And I hope the government would do something to help them. Give them financial support or provide them shelter would be lovely and your help will definitely be appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment