Wednesday 28 January 2015

Post-STPM Q&A

*The Q&A below are as of 2014. The procedural process and certain facts below may not be up to date and it is advised you get the further updates and information from your school counsellor.

These are the common questions encountered for students who graduated from STPM.


1): If I opt for Ulangan 3, would we get a result slip?
Yes, you would, but only by the end of April.

2): If I opt for Ulangan 3, does it mean I only get my full result at the end of April?
Whether you opt for Ulangan 3 or not, you will get your full result based on term 3 result (pre-Ulangan 3 result) in March. The only difference is that those who do not opt for Ulangan 3 get a result slip, while those who do can only check their results online.

If you intend to apply for IPTS/overseas universities, you can print out the full result online and submit it together with all other relevant documents. Once accepted you will be given a conditional offer. The admission process varies between universities so it is best you check the respective universities you wish to apply for, but generally they accept printed result for conditional offer.

3): Which result do they take? The latest or the best?
MPM will choose the best result of two. If your term 1 result is B+ but your ulangan result is F, the former will be selected.

4) Could those who opt for Ulangan 3 apply for UPU, or would they have to wait until their final result is released?
Whether or not you opt for Ulangan 3, you MUST apply for UPU courses before the application closes. You are able to apply for your desired courses and universities based on your full result which is based on term 3 result.

At the end of april, when your final result which is based on Ulangan 3 result is released, UPU will allow the applicants to make amendments, but only for NON-CRITICAL courses. Courses like Medicine, Pharmacy and Law which required interviews are not allowed to be selected anymore.

5) How do they calculate the final grade?
According to an unofficial source, the final grades of each subjects are calculated based on the marks of each papers, and not GPA of each paper. Therefore you cannot calculate your final grade based on the four papers you obtained.


The marks are not disclosed to the candidates, hence it is impossible for one to calculate their final grade. We are only informed of our grade. We are told we get an A but we are never told we get either a 95% or 80% for that paper.

For the same combination of grades, it is possible that there are various different final grades. For example, I have seen people who get A B+ A- A (according to paper sequence, and thus equal weightage) for Chemistry, one got a final grade of A and another one got a final grade of A-.

For PA, I have a friend who got B+ C+ A A but at the end he managed to get an A. If you say the final grade is calculated by the papers GPA, mathematically it is impossible he would obtain an A.

Anyway there are overwhelming evidence that the final grade is not the average of four papers GPA. The unofficial source is reliable and the only explanation to various discrepancies observed.

6) How to apply UPU?
You key in your data online. You are not required to submit your result as the officials will get your results from MPM.

USM and UM (rumour says) have independent system which required separate application.

7) How many offers could we get from UPU?
Maximum one from UPU, one from USM and one from UM (if UM does have autonomy in selection).

If your result is satisfactory, it is highly likely you will get a course you apply for, provided it is not extremely competitive like medicine.

If your result is not satisfactory, you'll get the choices you list below, or, if your result is really bad and you fail to meet the requirements of all the courses you apply for, you will be given a course they deem suitable for you.

If your result is appalling, you will not get an offer at all. (those whose CGPA are below 2.0 are highly likely to have their application rejected).

However, rayuan is allowed. Rayuan is, as of 2014, only exclusively for applications who failed to get any offer at all. You cannot make rayuan for the courses they have given you or for the universities you are given, unless you make attempt to contact the universities then it might be considered on a case-by-case basis but statistics suggests it is not worth the effort.

8) When would we know our UPU result?
As for 2014, you will only know your UPU result by mid-August.


Please feel free to ask more questions and I'll answer them if I know the answer. However, please note that I am simply a senior who went through the process in the year of 2014 and procedural process may have undergone changes since then and thus my answers may not be up to date. You are best advised to seek answers from school counsellors who know best in this field.


15 comments:

  1. Alright, thanks for this informative piece of info, but I have one question though. This question might be asinine, but, am I allowed to if I only want to apply ONE course from only ONE particular university without considering other universities?

    For instance, I want to opt for Mechanical Engineering course ONLY in UTM without considering USM, UM and others selections by UPU. Can I do that? I've already set my eyes upon UTM as my sole choice when it comes to pursuing my engineering course in IPTA. If I fail to secure a place in UTM, I'll just resort to IPTS.

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can. The blank spaces are given to you and it is entirely up to you to decide whether to fill in only one or to fill it up. However, my advice is that you fill all up. If you cannot get UTM, see what you are offered. You won't lose anything as you can reject the offer if you find it unsatisfactory.

      Delete
    2. Oh, in other words, say I got the offer to study Mech. Engineering in UTM, if by the end of the day I decide to instead opt for Swinburne University(Sarawak campus) even after I got UTM(or any other offer that I chose from the UPU), can I reject those IPTA offer?

      And if I do opt for an IPTS over an IPTA even after I got an offer from UPU/USM for that matter, do I need to make rayuan or undergo any formal procedure to reject the offer made by UPU ?

      Sorry for troubling you and thanks for sharing this information with me. I will inform my peers and friends about this matter as they're having the same doubts too pertaining to this issue.

      Delete
    3. Yes, you can. I personally got an offer from USM and UM and I rejected both and opted for IPTS. All you need to do is to simply 'tolak'. There are no procedures or paperwork to file. Just a simple click. But bear in mind once you reject the offer, you cannot appeal for it anymore.

      Btw you're aiming for Swinburne?

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Alright, noted.

      I'm aiming for UTAR, Swinburne and UTP. I initially opted for Monash, but it's annual fees are too high to even be considered, ergo Swinburne is my best bet at the moment. UTP's engineering fees are quite high too, but I think I'll take the chance to get my hands on their undergraduate scholarship. And from what my friends told me, UTAR isn't that bad either.

      The only IPTA I opted for is UTM. My senior who is currently undergoing his second year engineering in USM informed me that their lecturers are quite ''problematic'', also I don't want to judge too much about it.

      Delete
    6. Okay. I can tell you Swinburne is not bad. I have never heard of negative comments from my friends in UTM so I assume it is not bad as well. Anyway, think wisely. You still have approximately sixteen month, focus on your STPM first. Then you'll have 10 months to think carefully. Whatever your decision is, I believe it'll be the one you sincerely believe is the right one.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Danny! Can I add you personally on FB? I just finished my STPM in CLHS and I have a few questions to ask you regarding Curtin University Sarawak Campus.. Please....and thank you so much in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Hi danny ! I am art stream student and I've got my first term result yesterday.I got 3A 1B- . I consider of retaking pengajian am paper since I only managed to achieved B- for it.However ,I start to confuse since PA is not an easy subject me for especially the essay part(my 'isi' always got rejected everytime my teacher marked it n i hate the complicated procedure by MPM to determine the 'isi') . What do you think?? Should I retake ? I'm just scared since PA always been the killer paper for me even in the school exam. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's worth trying. The marking scheme is indeed rigid and ridiculously strict but there's nothing much we could do except to comply. One of the ways to ensure you have written an acceptable isi would be to read a lot, your points must be mature and 'expert' for it to be accepted (of course it has to also depend whether it is included in the marking scheme or not). I say give it a try. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. hello,i get a course from UM,but i do rayuan for UPU and USM,izit means that my tawaran from UM will be rejected or just the rayuan of UPU and USM will be rejected? T>T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. The papers are sent to other states, and the teachers who do teach STPM will mark the papers.

      Delete