Sunday 8 May 2022

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

I know a lot of Marvel fans give up after Endgame and thought whatever comes next wouldn't excite, but I hope I have the opportunity to tell them they're very dead wrong. Marvel still delivers, and it knows how to deliver. Sam Raimi directs the sequel to Doctor Strange titled as Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, with Dr Strange and Wanda being the two key characters in the film. It's too bad Wanda's the villain. I mean, I love Wanda, to see her play the villain role is a bit heartbreaking for him. And I think this is the first Marvel movie where a fellow Avenger turned rogue and evil. 

This movie wasted no time entering the main storyline. It began with Strange and Chavez in an alternate universe with that Strange dying, then it panned to our MCU Strange attending Christine's wedding when he witnessed mayhem and intervened. Immediately after that, he visited Wanda, found out she was the villain, and the two sides collided. 

I'll just say I like the movie. A little horror elements but nothing a horror fan like me couldn't handle. It's a little perplexing that Wanda's power has grown so much that she could single-handedly and rather effortlessly kill 5 members of the Illuminati. It had been said the strength of her chaos magic is tied to her emotion, and in this movie, she's extremely emotionally distraught, but still, it felt a little stretched, if not impossible, that she had grown so strong. If this Wanda existed in Infinity War, the movie would end when Thanos tried to get Vision's stone in London.

I like the movie. I like it a lot. The movie has drawn some mixed criticism but I would rate it very highly at 9.5/10. I like Wanda, and I like Dr Strange. I'm a little disappointed that Strange is portrayed as weaker than Wanda, but I suppose I could argue Strange had been holding back - he didn't seem to have a lot of difficulties overpowering his corrupted counterpart in the possession of the Darkhold.

Hoping to watch more Marvel movies! The multiverse has begun and it has been marvellous!

No comments:

Post a Comment