Sunday 22 May 2022

American Horror Story: Asylum

 I've always wanted to watch American Horror Story, but I never really gave it a try. I was made aware of its existence of it when Lady Gaga starred in it and I'm a Lady Gaga fan, but it wasn't aired in Malaysia back then and I didn't really bother to search for it. Until last year, I subscribed to Disney+, and this is a show that is streamed on it. 

The problem is it's rated R21, and Disney+ by default set the viewing restriction at 18, so I only found out later when I raised the viewing restriction to 21. I remembered reverting it to 18 because I found it a hassle to have to repeatedly key in the PIN, but then I was stumped that the show disappeared from the platform. I thought it was removed and was crestfallen, but it turned out it's just a Disney+ feature to completely remove R21 shows from the library when the restriction is 18.

Anyway, I decided to give the show a try, starting with season 1. I am a horror genre fan, so this show was great for me and since I've already paid for Disney+ and there ain't more interesting shows to watch, this show is it.

The first season, in my opinion, was weak. Still entertaining, but not as great as season 2 - Asylum.

I wasn't aware this show was meant to be anthological. So to see some actors returning as different characters was great, because I love a lot of them. 

Season 2 is a lot more disturbing and a lot scarier and not involves extraterrestrial beings. But the core focus is on asylum and a disturbed psychologist. I especially love Sister Jude, my god why is Jessica Lange such a great and awesome actress? And I also like Evan Peters, this guy is extremely talented. I'm sad Jessica Lange had chosen to leave the show after season 4, which means I won't be seeing her soon. But I really love her performance. Lily Rabe as Sister Mary is also impressive - she is undeniably also a very talented actress.

I like the finale the best. I love it that the show producers decide to inject a little empathy and let Kit take care of Sister Jude, and by taking care of his kids, she partly repented for her role as an abuser. The last episode was emotional, in a very good way.

American Horror Story has been an impressive series so far, and season 11 seems to be on production. I may be almost a decade later to catch on with the show, but it has not disappointed and I'm absolutely glad I found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment