Friday 4 February 2022

Eternals

This has been touted as a flop because it underwhelms. Since it has been released on Disney+, I watched it.

I find the characters Eternals interesting. They don't seem to be as powerful as some of the Avengers, but they are an interesting bunch.

About one hour into the film, I get why people are saying this movie underwhelms. Okay. Too many characters. Too many origins. There's an overabundance of individual stories and why they went separate ways, before the story re-deviates and refocuses on Tiamut. 

I like Sersi. I like Thena. And I like Ikaris. All other Eternals are quite a boring bunch, maybe also except Phastos. Gilgamesh vs Shang-chi? Bad timing, Shang-chi makes his fight looks like a baby throwing tantrum when he's denied his dessert.

The first half of the movie was boring, the pace was painfully slow. But the second picked up pace, and I liked it. The visuals in this movie are wonderful. When Arishem explained to Sersi the purpose of the Eternals and about their origins, the visual effects and directions were simply mind-blowing. But I concur with the majority critics' opinions: the non-linear form of story-telling is very distracting and undercut the movie a little.

But otherwise, I've quite enjoyed the movie. It's not as good as other Marvel movies, but if this isn't a Marvel movie, I would still rate it pretty favourably. It's better than Iron Man 2, and Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Far from Home, and Ant-Man. But ya, seems like it's at bottom 20% for me.

I would put it 7.5/10. I do still recommend people watching it, and I'm quite looking forward to watching the sequel, and how the characters in this movie will cross path with the other Avengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment