Sunday 13 October 2019

It's Getting Boring Again...

Singapore is getting very boring again.

It's a tiny city-state, where going from one end of the island to the other end on the MRT takes only one and a half hours. And that metro line isn't even straight!

There really isn't much to do in this tiny island nation. There's only so much it can offer, and 30% of its land are nature parks or untouched greenery (like Lim Chu Kang and central water catchment, where you won't often return there though sometimes you go there for some nature touch), the remaining 45% are HDB housing estates, and the remaining 25% are where tourists throng but 25% of this already claustrophobic island is really little to go by.

I've gone to almost every corner of this island deemed worth visiting, except Sentosa which I don't find anything fanciful as I'm not man-made entertainment type of guy, and Coney Island which takes a lot of time on foot and I haven't found a suitable date with nice weather.

This explains a lot. It shows that despite the strength of its currency and the robust economy, the people really have not much entertainment left and therefore they resort to spending money. Buying stuffs, on a weekly basis, become the norm and what keeps the economy going, and that's why people here care so much about branded stuffs.

Too bad I'm not one of them. To me, all these superficial items buy you momentary happiness, but after a while it fades. I find the purchasing power here overwhelmingly tempting, but the fleeting satisfaction it provides me fail to propel me to continue this momentum.

Well, my days in Singapore are numbered.

Two more years. Max. Could be less. Unlikely to be more, unless I'm given very, very good reasons to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment