Tuesday 20 February 2018

Making Decision

I'm in a dilemma, and I have to make a decision in four months time. If you have been reading my blog, you would have realised I have expressed interest in working in KL.

I have to leave my comfort zone, meaning I must leave Penang. I love my hometown, but the longer I nestle in my comfy environment, the lazier I'll get and as appealing as it sounds, I refuse to have a life in which all I need to worry about is how to enjoy myself. I want to suffer, to some degree, because that's how I can get a memorable life to remember when I'm old. And I want to have achievements I can be proud of, and not to immerse myself in materialistic properties which I have little appreciation of.

Nothing is wrong about working in Penang Island, but because of its proximity to BM, I am expected to go home to visit my parents during the weekends, meaning I'll still be returning to my comfort zone, which I really want to avoid. I love my parents, and though our relationships haven't been extremely well, they're still my parents but there comes a time the little bird would have to learn to fly solo.

I want to move to KL, but the thing is, KL is a whole new environment for me. It's a much bigger city from where I live, it's a much busier and more advanced cosmopolitan environment than where I stay and it is very, very scary. The notion of moving there alone sends shivers down my spine. Plus, I am not familiar with the environment. I have no idea how's Damansara, PJ, Cheras and other KL cities and that's a problem because, being a civil engineer, travelling is an inherent part of the job, and if I want to move to KL, I must know the place like a taxi driver with the city map imprinted in his mind.

If my job is office-based where travelling is just a routine issue that brings me between home and work, I have no hesitation to face because I already know what decision to make. But because my job requires travelling, it scares me. The thought of horrible congestion along the LDP, Sprint and Federal Highway already repels me.

But the purpose of leaving my comfort zone, is to suffer to some degree, right? So, is moving to KL going to be a good decision to make?

6 comments:

  1. Hello there, TJA! It's been quite a while since I last dropping by your blog.

    It's quite fascinating to see how you grow as a person through all of your posts and thoughts. We first chatted when I inquired you something along the lines of STPM-related stuffs(way back when you just finished STPM 3rd semester), and look how the time flies, you're about to enter the working world in only a few months left!

    With that being said, no matter where you'll move to, you'll be fine. Granted, we might make some mistakes from time to time in many aspects of our lives, but I reckon it's all part of us experiencing new stuffs while growing up. There will be tough times ahead without a question, but, try to enjoy as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So sorry for late reply because I had been otherwise engaged. How've you been recently? I have tough decisions to make ahead for myself but things will work out however it is. I'm just trying to find a way where I can suffer as little as possible haha.

      Delete
  2. You will make it to the end of the tunnel. Stepping into the working world might be pretty foreboding for most of us, but, it's a path that we will have to make. Sometimes, I just wish I have an option where I get to be working as a "full-time student" for the rest of my life, without venturing into the corporate/working world and having to deal with "office politics". But yeah, I figured if I just stay idle in 1 (comfort)zone for a long time, it'll do me no good for my job prospects and my skills.


    As for me currently, I'm kinda overwhelmed with my studies, midterms and deadlines are all pulling me down at the moment. Speaking of deadlines, my assignments are kinda akin to the hydra, you complete a task, and right before you can chill there's another new sub-tasks ahead of you. Cut 1 head, and 2 will grow in it's place. Sigh... Wish us both the best of luck in our life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you! Reality has to sink it eventually so I'll just face it sooner rather than later. I guess you should also do the same. All the best to you!

      Delete
  3. Hey there, no worries as you have waze and google map .*wink
    Yes, the congestion is worst in kl but it's hard to get away from that.
    Suffering? Hmm...I think it just takes time to adapt to a new environment.
    Anyway, all the best to you and don't worry too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a very good advice! Thank you very much. I'll go to KL if I find that affordable (finance is a big constraint cuz if I go KL I'll have to rent a place to live). Thanks!

      Delete