Sunday 8 June 2014

UM: Ujian Kelayakan (Engineering)

I wasn't sure whether 94s were the first batch to sit for a qualification test before interviews, but it certainly seemed so. Anyone who applied for engineering course in UM needed to sit for an ujian kelayakan. It was announced only one week before the test, and it provided no information whatsoever pertaining to what we would face, what we would be tested, and what format would be adopted.

I asked around, and nobody knew. They said we were the first batch.

Not that I cared, but expecting a proper reaction to something so sudden is a little aggressive.

So I didn't care. Together with my friends, we went to Alor Setar. After getting a hotel and settling down, we slept, and the next day we woke up and went to Regency Hotel.

As expected, we saw tons of people literally squeezing into the hotel. We saw several familiar faces, expectedly, and without much delays and with a tad anxiety, we walked to where we should go. After we sat down in the hall, we were instructed to leave the hall until the doors were opened for us.

So out we went. And as expected, since punctuality was one Malaysians lack of, everything got delayed.

And finally we were told to get in. We sat down, and we were tentatively instructed to fill the objective papers.

Then we were allowed to see the question papers. Oh yes - UM were testing us on STPM Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

The questions were extremely easy. The only reason we complained hard is because we had no touched anything STPM related stuffs for half a year, and expecting us to ace the exam when we were given last minute information to prepare was quite impossible.

Maths was okay. Rather simple if you can remember the formula. Chemistry was okay, only balancing equations and finding moles. Physics was ok though I couldn't be sure. PA was downright weird.

And then, we ended our ujian kelayakan. Quite flabbergasted, but relieved.


6 comments:

  1. Hi, may I ask if we're allowed to bring in our calculators in the examination hall? I know that it's a trifle question, but I just can't seemed to take it out of my mind when I found out that most of the entrance examination for universities in Japan do not allow students to use calculators. Oh, and have you tried to apply the MEXT (Monbukagakusho scholarship) before if you don't mind I ask? Thanks for answering my question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Yes we were allowed to bring calculators into the exam halls. No I didn't apply for any Japanese scholarships as I have no intentions to study in Japan. It appears you're applying for some, good luck with your interviews! =)

      Delete
    2. Nah.... I haven't apply them just yet..I will in the following year though, since I'm now studying From 6. Anyway, thanks and I hope I'll give it my best for the interview!

      Now that I'm here, I'd like to inquire about some matters concerning MUET. I'll try to keep them short and simple.
      1)For the essay(Writing section) and group discussion/presentation(Speaking section), does the usage of higher level of vocabulary really matters?
      My MUET teacher oftentimes coaxes us to put some of the flowery idioms and bombastic words to good use as they'll bolster the eloquence of our speaking/writing, is that true?

      2)In the Reading component, there will be some questions where the choices are only: True, False and Not Stated. Now, I'm quite aware of the difference between True and False, but I'm always in a muddle when it comes to choosing either False, or Not Stated...
      Hence, how do I segregate both of them??
      Thanks once again for your helpful replies. :)

      Delete
    3. Not necessary for writing. Writing is all about persuasion and maturity. I'm quite sure it impresses better if you are able to come out with a solid, persuasive and mature arguments using only simple words. However, try complex sentences. Somehow, complex sentences fascinate more than bombastic words.
      Same goes to Speaking. Speaking is all about confidence. If you can talk, then it's alright. The invigilators have no interest at what you say, trust me. Listening to people speaking whole morning is bound to be dull.
      I had never been able to differentiate true, false and not stated, so I can't help much with that. Sorry. Haha. But all the best for your MUET! =)

      Delete
  2. Hi Danny...gone thru ur blog and saw your stpm results and it's very inspiring! I from Penang CLHS do hope to be like you.. As i'm entering Sem3 now, do you have any tips or advice for me to do well in this term? How long do study per day? Please help..THANKS!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment! Since you're entering sem 3, you most likely have coped with STPM level questions. What subjects are you taking? PA is going to be easier, but time management matters as you have to write three long essays in 2 hours (one requires calculations) plus you've got 15 objective questions to answer. Maths (T) is the easiest among the three terms, but not in anyway easy. Just easier. It's still hard so you'll still need to pour in efforts. Chemistry is okay. Organic Chemistry demands only a little calculation and mostly memorisation. It's quite fun, actually. If you're taking Physics....well, third term Physics is probably only slightly better than first term. Make sure you grasp the concept well because derivations for this term are difficult and abstract.
      I did not have a consistent study time. I didn't study everyday, and only studied when I felt like to except the days before exams. On average I spent about 2 hours per day (at night, afternoon used up for sleeping and other activities like sports haha), sometimes, 5 hours (2 hours in the afternoon, 3 hours at night) before exam. Just manage your time well. You don't have to study everyday but you must study well! Good luck for your third sem! =)

      Delete