Thursday 11 October 2012

Starwalk

This is the first time I participated in this major event. I'll begin with the very first.

I went to Penang by a school bus arranged by my school. But here's a problem: the company that was supposed to arrange everything for us did it last minute, and hence the situation was totally chaotic. We were supposed to leave latest at 5.15am, but there was still one bus missing when it was 5.30. We were already late and the reporting time for the competition participants were already closing. Having no choice left, a teacher told us to embark other buses.

I reached there slightly late, thanks to the stupid bus company, and couldn't find the reporting centre. Luckily mine was non-competition, or else I could have cried to death. I finally found it at 6.40am, 5 minutes before it closed. The queue was so long, but there was only 4 or 5 counters. There was almost no movements within the few minutes I queued there, and when there were finally movements enough for me to walk at least 4 steps, I was literally "squeezed" out of it and was at lost at finding the counter.

I spent some time searching for the counter to get the wrist band and lucky draw coupon, only to find it late and almost closed. When I was there I got no wrist band, probably due to lack of stock, and got only a coupon. I went to the starting line realising I was very late. I didn't know how late I started, but when I phoned my friend, he was at Prangin Mall and I was at Komtar. Very far, right?

Anyway, I couldn't see my friends anywhere, so I walked quickly trying to locate any of my friends. The problem with non-competition is that majority of participants were there to saunter, they didn't want to walk fast. I wanted to walk fast, so I moved zig-zag. While doing so I had lost count on how many shoes I had stepped on or how many people I had accidentally knocked on. I'm sorry for that.

After walking for a distance, I finally met - technically, she found me - a friend of mine, who initially chided me for being slow because she was far ahead of me - and she told me the others had gone far. I walked faster than, met more friends, but still not the ones I went in search of. Finally, after walking for one hour, I reached the finishing point and met them. LOLL meeting friends at the finishing point!

Anyway, it was then I realised I started very late. They all started at 7am, and I started approximately 20 minutes later (if I wasn't mistaken, the time I started was 7.18am).

Because I walked fast (trying to find my friends), I didn't focus on the buildings around me. I had lost the golden opportunity to view the heritage buildings in Penang, but I guess it didn't matter much now.

I finished the walk in one hour (a few minutes plus) and got the certificate of participation which will grant me 14 ko-k marks. After that I was so famished, I had to eat breakfast. I first met YK, and both of us later went into Penang Times Squares which were crowded.



No comments:

Post a Comment