Monday 15 May 2023

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 3

 Guardians of the Galaxy (GOTG) was the first Marvel movie I watched, even though back then I didn't really enjoy Marvel movies, but I remember vividly it was a fun movie. I watched it in 2014, in theatre, in GSC CityOne Megamall, Kuching, when I was studying in Swinburne. GOTG thus becomes the first Marvel movie that truly etches into me, hence I was very excited for the third movie. I wasn't happy about what happened to James Gunn and how Disney handled the situation, but after a series of convoluted events, James Gunn came back to close this chapter, and hence I must give it a witness I know the movie would fabulously deliver.

James Gunn does not disappoint.

This is a movie full of emotions - of anger, of sadness, of joy, of tears. The villain is very simplistic. The High Evolutionary isn't some aliens or celestial, but just a human who's probably genetically enhanced but still yards from Captain America's durability. But James Gunn manages to picture him as someone so scary despite his simplicity. That's the power of James Gunn.

The ending of the movie is gut-wrenching. I know the characters finally get what they truly deserve, but somehow, after 10 years, watching them disband is very heartbreaking. Gamora and Quill will not get together because this is a different Gamora. Nebula has finally found her happiness. It's sad also that Mantis and Drax separate. Dog Days are over is an awesome song by the way.

But good things must come to an end, to ensure they don't outlive their welcome.

My rating: 10/10. Marvel would continue to soar if this quality persists.

No comments:

Post a Comment