Thursday 19 January 2023

The Watcher (TV)

I know this show existed but I also knew it was controversial. With a show this hot, it's difficult to avoid spoilers, but the only spoiler I knew was that the Watcher was never identified so technically the show ended with a cliffhanger, and I absolutely despise cliffhangers, so I decided to give the show a pass. But online reviews were very split - some eulogised the show as stunning and extraordinary, while some called it mundane and lacking inspiration. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and watched it - and was mindblown. 

After watching the first episode, the plot became familiar to me, and that's when I realised I had read about this in an issue of Reader's Digest not that long ago. It is based on a real story, and the real culprit was never identified or caught either. Nonetheless, the show is good, the suspense is good, and the puzzles are well-crafted. The neighbours are weird. Mitch and Mo are the typical nosy, retired couples who get their noses around everywhere and mistakenly thought their seniority demands automatic respect (which obviously is never the case). There are a few other interesting characters, and the show itself is very well-plotted with seamless and finely connected puzzles. I would give the show a 8/10, although I still hate cliffhangers. But the latest news is that it has been renewed for a 2nd season. I'm not sure whether it would feature a new family or a continuation of the first season, but I'll definitely look out for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment