Tuesday 9 January 2018

The Ugly Side of Civil Engineering

I'm now voluntarily involved in an internship in a civil engineering firm that is relatively small. It has less than a dozen staff and handles small projects compared to where I did my mandatory internship previously. The thing about small companies: significantly less workload - too relaxed to the point I am sure this is not what I want in my life, so my experience effectively helped me a made a choice: after my graduation, I will not start my working life in a small company. Well, at least not this small. There is no design work now. Even the drafters are quite relaxed. The only thing keeping them busy now is the paperwork for submission, which isn't something I can do because authorities submissions require delicate handling and I obviously am not prepared for that.

I also learn quite a lot of insights in the world of civil engineering. To sum it up: ugly. When it comes to land handling, constructions and when it intertwines with politics and finance, everything goes very ugly. This is a world where political interference is dominant and omnipresent, and political ramifications from a very little mistake could become national news due to its fragile status. That's why, like the Ir in my firm says, young people refrain from entering civil engineering. It's ugly. It's tough. It's not respected. And it certainly isn't worth spending too much time in.

But I am already in this world. I'll stride on. And I'll survive.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I am a current Civil engineering student from Swinburne university. I have read some of your posts, and found it quite interesting. I saw that you are on your final year, have you taken transport engineering and design of low rise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: Yes I have taken both. Who are you and are you taking them next sem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a third year student, and yeah I am taking both of these units next sem. I would like to ask if you have any past year papers or study materials to share? Would be greatly appreciated if you can share so I can pass next semester easily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing much I can share about both units, I'm sorry. Low Rise is relatively simple - there are two individual assignments who aren't very heavy, and the content itself is also fine (better than concrete and steel). But the final exam is the worst I've ever sat for so far. Too many damn questions in one paper and majority cannot finish in time - so train your speed. Questions are like tutorials - easy, but there is just an overwhelming number of questions to answer. Transport requires a lot of memorisation. The calculation is quite simple as long as you truly understand the concept. The assignment is as heavy as Road's, so don't expect easy life ahead. Transport is comparatively harder than Road, especially the final exam. For assignment, though, I find Road assignment harder, possibly due to its trial and error element.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Danny for you advice. At least i have a clearer picture of these two units. Are you finishing your FYRP soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous. Yup I'll be finishing my FYRP next semester. Would be my last the next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you taking any electives for the next semester? And i would like to ask is construction law as difficult as Engineering Management 2? I failed EM2 twice so it was quite challenging for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi anonymous, perhaps this topic I created and have updated could help you more: https://danny2312.blogspot.my/2016/10/civil-engineering-in-swinburne.html. It's for my own record but you can take a look, but do note it varies with people. I have not taken EM2, btw.

    ReplyDelete