Sunday 10 September 2017

FYRP

Well, time flies. And it certainly flies fast. Finishing SPM felt only like one year ago, and finishing STPM is still so fresh in my mind I can recall so many things to actually write a dedicated essay for it. I can also still feel the excitement when I first travelled alone to Kuching, only for fears to finally sink in and paralyse me to the point I almost wept myself to sleep on the first night in my hostel in Sarawak. Total foreign land. Total strange place. No relatives, no people I know. Absolutely no elements of familiarity. I was so scared, but luckily after years, I've established sort of a nest here, and Kuching has become a rather comforting place for me to call a second home.

Anyway, it's now my final year here, and of course, it means one thing: Final Year Research Project. Damn. Anyway, after years of studying civil engineering, the conclusion I can draw is that I absolutely love Structural and Geotechnical Engineering. At the same time I cannot even begin to say how much I despise Road Engineering and Hydrology. I hate them. I can do them, but I hate them. Torn between Structural and Geo, I opted for Geo, because I had my fair share of exposure to structural engineering during my internship.

My FYRP topic is basically the usage of Finite Element Modelling to design piles. Piles are a common structural element to support a structure, and though they are commonly designed and have performed their functions superbly, often they are created with unnecessary overdesign to compensate the inability to investigate the soil-structure interaction. Hence, my FYRP is to investigate the behaviour and interaction of the soil and pile. It's quite hard, actually, mainly because I am super weak in using any computer software. But, my topic is quite fun. And to say the truth: I love it. But like any other people, playing around what I should play around is fun. Doing the report is a different nightmare to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment