Sunday 12 February 2012

Change Of Job

I'll go straight to the point.

The boss of the restaurant I worked for innocuously told me that, owing to unsatisfying business, they only needed workers for Saturdays and Sundays. She was indirectly telling me to change a job. But probably due to that immense guilt building in her she told me she could recommend me one, and that the chance I would get it would be high.

That was the time my worst fear was realised - I've got sacked. I hate getting sacked. But I remained calm and hid my consternation. I hedged, and told her I would tell her my decision later.

So the next day I went scour for new job. Initially I was intending to ask two restaurant for the vacancy for waiters, but I realised waiter wasn't a job I enjoy much. So, I resort to my third option which wasn't high in my list. It was a stationery shop, and I thought I would have to do paper work which was quite sedentary.

But I called anyway. The boss answered my call, and after getting the details, I was kinda interested. I went straight to the shop, asked for more details, and immediately told them I could start working the next day.


Well, basically the company organises book fairs in schools, so my job is about counting stocks, arranging stocks, transporting boxes, selling books, and keeping the book fair location under surveillance lest books got stolen.

Yes, there definitely is a lot of heavy work, considering that I'm the only part-time boy there. It appears that the boss fancies my presence there as I could lighten his work. Boss needs more boys to help him with his work, but everybody I calls baulks when they hear about "transporting boxes/heavy work".

By the way, one of my friends also works there. What a coincidence! I didn't know she works there before I asked for a job.

So the first day went well. The staffs there are expansive. They treat us as a family, especially the boss. He told me a lot about his life, and he seems to trust me implicitly enough to keep the cat in the bag. So, that's why I quite enjoy this job, although I have been asked to do jobs that warrant physical strength and resilience.

So far I've worked for them for four days, and now I believe I am running on all cylinders. I'll elaborate on what I did on the first four days in another posts as it'll be lengthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment