Saturday 22 November 2014

Life So Far

I'm not going to write long because I've got a very tight schedule ahead.

I've got one major project to be handed in on Monday, one assignment on Friday, one presentation on Thursday, and two tests this week. I'm quite overwhelmed at the moment so I don't really want to spend too much time blogging.

Life so far in Kuching is quite good. Kuching people speak Chinese the way we (Penangites) do. So far I've observed people from Bintulu and Kapit tend to speak in a rather 'more standard' accent, which makes them quite distinguishable, and those from Sibu and Sarikei have Fuzhou accent like my father does.

Lots of Hokkien here in Kuching but the Hokkien here is slightly different from Penang. Accent is totally different.

There are lots of Fuzhou too. I'm a Fuzhou, father from Sitiawan, and I really regret (though I couldn't really change anything) not learning or given the opportunity to learn Fuzhou.

Mandarin here is quite different in terms of choice of word. For example, 50 cent is called 五毛钱,whereas in Penang and KL it's called 五角。

Bread here are damn delicious, sadly the price is not very inviting.

New Sarawak Tribune and The Borneo Post are the two local English newspapers here. New Sarawak Tribune lacks solid news as they have limited coverage and reporting, no comics as well, but they have additional features that I like. The Borneo Post exclusively reports only news and only contains about 2 or 3 additional articles that are not news-reporting.

Fried egg, 荷包蛋,is extremely rare in Kuching, and can normally only be bought through ordering, and it cost RM1 per piece. People who say it's not rare in Kuching obviously have not been to Penang. The rather common choice is salted egg and omelette.

There are more Penangites than I previously thought, and a lot of Peninsular Malaysians as well. However, Sarawakian is still the majority, comprising about 70% of local students.

After eating it for three months, Kolo Mee still tastes as good as I first taste it. Even better, actually. My first try was white Kolo Mee and now I am eating too much Red Kolo Mee.

That's all for now. Rushing assignment now.


No comments:

Post a Comment