Sunday 20 July 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling

Published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, The Cuckoo's Calling is J.K.Rowling's first crime novel. I thought it would be an interesting book as its sales was overwhelming and its reception resounding. However, when I read it, I find it....hard to read. I am a Malaysian, and English is my second language. The book is written in strict British English and the sentence structures were too complicated for me, and the vocabulary was too wide for me too. It was definitely the most challenging book I have ever come across. However, the story plot was alright and ordinary, nothing unusual or extraordinary. There are also too many characters and it confounds me a lot. Anyway, I'll just bear in mind to shun British novels like this. Sorry it just doesn't suit me as my English isn't good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment